• Need Some Help? Call: 01425 533 533  LINES RE-OPEN 9:30AM Wednesday

School Two Way Radios

Two Way Radios for Schools

Two Way Radios are absolutely essential for most schools to be H&S compliant with lone-workers and for incident management. Here's just some of what two way radios are used for in schools.

  • Health & Safety
  • Incident Management
  • Lone Working Teachers, Cleaners & Caretaker
  • Office to Teacher Communications
  • Office to Headteacher Communications
  • Headteacher to Teacher Communications
  • Emergency Evacuation
  • School Trips

Radiotronics is an accredited education partner for Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, Entel, Hytera and Tait. That means Radiotronics can supply all brands of two way radio and you can be sure that we'll suggest exactly the right product for you.

School Health & Safety (Including Evacuation)

Instant communications is absolutely essential in the event of an incident. Whether that be a medical incident or something more serious that requires immediate evacuation, two way radios (or walkie talkies) almost certainly provide the correct solution.

Unlike a mobile phone, where there is a delay in the ring/answering period (up to a minute), two way radios (or walkie talkies) make communication instant. That results in no time delay incidents which are time critical such as fire evacuation.

Two way radios are recognised as the preferred method of instant communication by almost all health & safety recognised bodies including the Health & Safety Executive itself.

Two way radios (or walkie talkies) allow communication between all team members including all leadership, office, admin, cleaners in a single channel or multiple channels. This ensures effective communications between different teams as required.

Two Way Radios for Teachers

Due to the nature of how schools operate, schools have an unusually high number of team members who work alone. Typically, Teachers are lone workers. Teachers who work with Children are still considered lone workers. And as such every employer is ultimately responsible for the safety of the members of their team. Here's some of the things which need to be considered.

  • Risk of Violence
  • Risk of Manual Handling
  • Risk of Medical Incident
  • Evacuation Procedure

Two way radios (or walkie talkies) allows the teacher to effectively manage the risk and call for assistance without delay as soon as an incident starts.

Two Way Radios For School Trips

Two way radios are essential on school trips. When there's a number of children and a limited number of grown ups, keeping track can be a tricky exercise. Using two way radios simplifies this.

Typically, school trips are broken down with different groups doing different things. This means groups split up. Two way radios keep separate groups in touch.

But What's The Range?

That depends on whether you choose licensed or licence free school two way radios. Typically, a licence free radio will only give you around 800 yards. Whereas a licensed radio will give you up to a mile of coverage in open spaces (less in built-up areas).

See our "Licence Free Vs Licensed" section below for more info on why you should choose licensed school two way radios over licence-free school two way radios.

Licence Free Vs Licensed Two Way Radios

Almost every time the word licence is mentioned, schools run a mile. This is because schools associate the word licence with paperwork. The reality is that Radiotronics takes care of all paperwork and even then the licence is once every 5 years, and costs just £15 per year for totally unlimited radios. Licensed two way radios cost almost the same as licence-free to buy, but with a number of significant improvements including audio quality and range.

Licensed School Two Way Radio Benefits

  • £15 Per Year Site Licence (Unlimited Radios)
  • More Robust & Durable - Lasts Longer
  • Vastly Improved Range - For Medium to Large Schools
  • Vastly Improved Audio Quality - Louder & Clearer
  • Emergency Features - One Button Emergency Switch
  • Lone Worker & Man Down Options
  • Extended Battery Life - High Capacity Batteries Available
  • Many More - Ask When You Call

As you can see, licensed school two way radios are much better and have many more benefits. To ensure you select the correct solution, start as you mean to continue, with licensed two way radios.

Licensed School Two Way Radio Suggestions

The following two way radios are just suggestions for schools. But we have a whole section on licensed two way radios. For double-entry and even larger schools, licensed two way radios are essential. As mentioned above, you'll also need a £15 Per Year Site Licence (Unlimited Radios) but we'll do the paperwork for you.

Hytera TC620
Analogue Radio

From £65.00+Charger*

Motorola VX-261
Analogue Radio

From £99.00+Charger*

Kenwood TK-D340
Digital Radio

From £150 Incl. Charger*

Motorola DP1400
Digital-Ready Radio

From £114.99+Charger*

* Prices subject to change without notice.

Licence-Free Two Way Radio Suggestions (Smaller Schools Only)

The following licence-free two way radios are just suggestions. We have a whole section on licence-free two way radios. Licence free radios are ideal for single-entry schools which are very small. For larger schools, see the licensed radio section above.

Hytera TC-446S
Analogue Radio

From £43.00+Charger*

Motorola XT180 Twin Pack
Analogue Twin Pack

From £89.00 Incl. Charger*

Motorola XT420
Analogue Radio

From £99+Charger*

Kenwood TK-3401D
Digital Radio

From £135 Incl. Charger*

* Prices subject to change without notice.

How Do I Order?

Tip: Did you know that Radiotronics automatically grants purchase order terms to all schools and academies. There is no application required.

If you'd like to buy two way radios, we've made ordering from Radiotronics really simple. We have made a selection of radios that are absolutely ideal for schools. You can see these below. If you'd like to place an order. You can do so online and simply select "Trade Account / Purchase Order" as the payment method. If you're buying licensed radios, don't forget to also buy the Simple Site Licence too.

If you're looking to rent long or short term, call 01425 533 533 or email sales@radiotronics.co.uk and ask about our School Two Way Radio Hire or Rental.

But I'm Not Too Sure What I Want, Can I Just Talk To Someone? Of course. Speak to our education specialist account managers by calling 01425 533 533 or email sales@radiotronics.co.uk and ask about our School Two Way Radios.